There are over 570 million blogs on the internet, meaning a blog should have a great reputation and high traffic to compete. Don’t worry, however – we will help you achieve your dream to build a successful blog by providing some tips.
This article will cover some blogging best practices and what’s necessary to build a competitive blog.
1. Choose a Niche Based on Your Expertise
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Picking a popular niche and focusing on topics related to it is recommended if you are a beginner. That said, this alone may not guarantee your blog’s popularity. Thus, when deciding on a niche, consider a topic you know a lot about.
Choosing a niche based on your expertise will help:
- Narrow down the ideas for your posts.
- Keep you focused on a target audience.
- Limit your competition.
For example, if you are experienced in financial planning, investing, and budgeting, you can write a blog on personal finance. This will help you determine your target audience and what content to publish.
2. Pay Attention to Blog Design
Quality content makes a blog attractive, but its design also plays an essential role. An appealing design is recommended to distinguish your blog from others.
An easy way to design a blog is to use a free-hosting website builder. Look for a service with easy customization, reliable uptime, security, and feature-rich hosting.
Make sure your site is easy to navigate so visitors can browse it effectively. In addition, pick a design template that reflects your brand’s identity. Lastly, optimize your blog to improve its ranking on search engine results pages (SERPs).
3. Develop an Effective Writing Style
An effective writing style is essential to make your blog appear professional and credible. Well-structured and organized writing will communicate your ideas clearly and make your readers stick around.
Writing in a compelling way takes a lot of practice. That said, it’s exceptionally rewarding once you’ve mastered it.
Consider the following tips to develop your own writing style:
- Consult a style guide like the AP Stylebook, The Chicago Manual of Style, or Material Design by Google.
- Use a simple sentence structure to convey your ideas.
- Pay attention to grammar, punctuation, and spelling – your writing represents the quality of your blog.
4. Include Quality Images and Videos
Articles that attract the most organic traffic do so by not only having the appropriate word count but also by implementing other aspects like keyword relevance and visuals. Using quality images and videos is important to create engaging articles.
Consider the following tips:
- Create visually appealing posts to attract more visitors. By featuring content that looks vibrant and attractive, your blog will receive a higher engagement from readers.
- Use visuals to support your ideas. If you include relevant photos or videos in your articles, readers will understand your points better.
- Foster a professional-looking environment. Posts containing custom graphs, diagrams, and infographics look more authoritative and are more likely to engage your audience.
Adding quality images and videos will also make your posts perform better on SERPs. When featuring images, you can add a meta title, alt text, and tags to them, improving your website’s search engine optimization (SEO).
5. Be Present on Social Media
Using social media will strengthen your online presence. It’s an effective way to promote your blog and encourage people to visit it as. Social media platforms are a great place to share your posts and gauge reader feedback.
Choose the appropriate social media platform to share your posts on. For example, if you run a food, fashion, or travel blog with heavy visuals, consider Instagram or Facebook. They’re great options because you can showcase your posts there.
6. Improve Your SEO
SEO helps your blog rank higher on SERPs, resulting in more organic traffic. It’s crucial to work on making your blog stand out from the competition.
If you use WordPress, one of the best ways to improve your site’s SEO is to install a plugin like Yoast SEO, JetPack, or All In One SEO.
Here are some SEO tips:
- Research keywords. You can use keyword research tools like Ubersuggest, Ahrefs, or Google Trends to find high-volume keywords.
- Use internal linking. This practice will help visitors and search engine crawlers navigate your website and find relevant information.
- Use headings. A well-structured article is easy to read. Most readers tend to skim posts rather than read them thoroughly. Headings will help them find what they are looking for.
- Optimize your images or videos. Add alt text, captions, and titles whenever you include pictures or videos to rank higher on search engines.
7. Track Your Progress Regularly
Monitoring your blog is vital to keep track of its performance and decide on strategies to implement so it performs even better.
Check out Google Analytics – it is a popular website performance tracking tool. With it, you can keep track of:
- Traffic growth strategies that work best on your blog.
- Posts that attract and engage the biggest readership.
- The number of posts you should publish in a particular time frame.
Every blogger has a chance to make a unique and successful blog. It all depends on how much effort they put in.
We’ve covered seven tips to help you understand the key points of what makes a blog stand out. Here is a recap of them:
- Choose a niche based on your expertise.
- Pay attention to the design.
- Develop a compelling writing style.
- Use quality images and videos.
- Be active on social media.
- Improve your SEO.
- Track your blog’s performance regularly.
Implementing these tips will increase the chances of your blog succeeding. Take your time and have fun.