Want to start a food blog but don’t know how to start? No problem, this article will help you. This article includes a complete guide on starting a food blog in 2020.
I know how frustrating it can be to deal with technical aspects of the website designing just to share the best recipe online.
Though all the required information is available online, for a beginner, it is next to impossible to start a food blog online. This is because all this information is so scattered online that for a non-technical person it is not possible to connect all dots together.
Next, you’re good at cooking and writing the food recipes but you don’t know how to start the blog? Right?
If this is the case then don’t worry. You are not alone.
There are many bloggers online, who are running a successful blog and don’t know the technical aspects of the blog.
So, there is no need to worry, if you want to start a blog without knowing the technical aspects of the blog.
How to Start a Food Blog and Make Money
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- How to Start a Food Blog and Make Money
- What is Food Blogging?
- Why Start a Food Blog?
- Step By Step Instructions To Start Your Own Food Blog
- The Final Words
For starting a food blog, there are two options available with you.
- You can hire a web consultant to handle the technical part of the blog. Here, your consultant will start and manage the blog on your behalf. In return, you will pay him or her a small amount every month. In this option, you simply need to focus on your blog posts and public relation, rest will be taken care of by your consultant.
- The second option is ‘Do It Yourself’. With a minimum technical knowledge, you can start the blog on your own. Yes, it is possible. Starting the blog is not so difficult. You can learn it easily.
Confused? How to start your own food blog? No problem. This article will go into detail on how to start the food blog?
But, before starting with the article, let us first have a brief introduction to ‘Food Blogging’.
What is Food Blogging?
Food blogging includes but not limited to writing about his or her experiences with food or cooking and posts them in an online blog.
Here, I used the term ‘not limited to‘ because ‘Food Blogging’ is a border terminology. It includes a vast number of things in it. For example, some food bloggers write about cooking recipes whereas other bloggers like to share the honest experience of various food points in your city or locality.
Hence, Food blogging includes everything that is related to the food arena.
Why Start a Food Blog?
Food Blogging is one of the best niches for starting a blog. With lots of opportunities for brand collaboration and readers online, this is one of the most profitable niches today.
Every coin has two sides. This is also applicable to Food Blogging.
There are many pros and cons of starting a food blog. Some of them are discussed below.
Pros Of Food Blogging
- An endless number of business opportunities due to brand collaboration.
Once you get famous, you might even get the business offering free meals in return for the free write-up.
- A huge number of readers available world-wide. Hence, no need to worry about getting traffic to your blog.
- Easy to start and manage in your kitchen.
Cons Of Food Blogging
- Higher risk of getting Negative Reviews. Since everyone’s taste are different for food, you may get lots of negative review for your blog posts.
- Like other blogs, the monthly earnings are not fixed in the Food blog. It keeps on fluctuating.
- Your routine life will get disturbed a lot. Your holiday and travel plan will get centered around the eating place and you will start finding social medias every place (even during lunch and dinner time).
Above all are the advantages and disadvantages of starting the food blog.
Now, If you want to learn how to start a successful food blog on your own then please read this article further below.
Step By Step Instructions To Start Your Own Food Blog
Hereby, we will share the step by step instructions to start your own food blog and make money from it.
So, What are we waiting for? Let’s start discussing these steps below.
# Step 1: Get A Domain Name For Your Website
Domain Name is simply the unique name of your blog. In my case, the domain name is ‘LoveUMarketing‘.
For creating a successful blog it is always advisable to select the short, memorable and related domain names.
For example, for the food blog, you should not select the domain name starting with keywords like tech, marketing, money, etc. Instead, your domain name should be like HealthyFood, FoodOnWheel, CravingFood, etc. (related to your blogging niche).
According to me, this is the most difficult task for starting the food blog. This is because, once you get your domain name registered, it can’t be changed. Changing the domain name is like changing the name of the entire business.
According to one study, there are more than 351 million domain names registered online. Now, since these domain names are unique, finding another unique name for your blog is a difficult task.
But, don’t worry, Domain Name Suggestion Tool will help you to get this difficult task done easily.
To use this tool, all you need to do is just type the potential name in the search box and hit ‘Enter’. Next, the domain name suggestion tool will share all the suggestions (based on the given name) to you.
The following are the various characteristics of an ideal domain name.
- Keep it Simple
- Should be Memorable
- Keep it Short
- Easy to pronounce and understand
- Avoid numbers and hyphens
- Use appropriate domain extension like .com, .in, etc.
You will find some handy domain name checking tools in the below article.
# Step 2: Find A Reliable Web Hosting Plan For Your Blog
Web Hosting is a process of using a server to host a website online. Though this sounds technical it is not.
When you visit any website online (say loveumarketing.com), your web browser will query the domain name (loveumarketing, here in this case) and ask where the website is hosted online. Next, it will loads up the contents that are stored there.
In simple language, a domain name is the address of your blog and web hosting is the physical store where your data is located.
The below article will tell you how to choose the best web hosting plan for your blog?
For your convenience, hereby, I am sharing the best affordable shared hosting plan that offers a one-click blog installation on WordPress.
Best Web Hosting For Small Business
I strongly recommend Blue host web hosting plan because it is easy to set up, affordable, reliable and offers 24×7 support service.
Next, it also offers one free domain name (for one year) and one-click installation of WordPress blog.
You can purchase the bluehost’s web hosting plan by clicking on the above banner. The exclusive price of $3.95 per month is only available for LoveUMarketing’s readers. No Promo code is required. Simply click on the above banner to purchase the web hosting plan from bluehost.
# Step 3: Install WordPress For Your Blog
So finally, you’re ready with the domain name and web host. Now, the third step involved in starting the food blog is installing WordPress on your server.
If you’re using a blue host then installing WordPress will become more easier. Using a 1-click WordPress installation, you can easily install the WordPress within one click.
For any other web hosts, please refer the below article to learn how to install WordPress using Softaculous
Of course, you can also use other blogging platforms like Drupal, Joomla, Google Sites, etc. for your site.
But still, I strongly recommend using WordPress.
This is because, WordPress is the most flexible, easiest and well-know open-source blogging platform available online.
According to W3Techs, WordPress powers more than 34% of all the websites on the Internet.
Even, I am using WordPress on all of my two websites. (i.e, TechShristi and LoveUMarketing)
# Step 4: Install Best WordPress Theme For Your Food Blog
After step 3 your food blog will be ready and available online. But, this time it would be using default theme and plugins which already available in WordPress.
Hence, the next step involved in starting the food blog is to change the WordPress default theme.
According to me, this is the most fun part of starting the food blog. In this step, you will determine the look and feel of your site.
Next, hereby, I am sharing a few tips for selecting the best theme for your WordPress blog.
- Well designed and related to your blog: Make sure your theme is well designed and related to your blogging niche. Next, it is also important to ensure the authenticity of the code used within the theme. Remember, improper use of code in the theme can increase the loading time of your site and thereby it impact your performance also.
- Responsive Theme: This is another important factor for selecting the best theme for your blog. The term ‘Responsive’ means your site will automatically get resized and render the web page according to the device used by the readers. For example, it will appear smaller on the mobile and larger on the desktop.
- SEO Optimized: If you’re under impression that once you start the blog, you readers will automatically find you then you are wrong. This is not possible. You need to do the Search Engine Optimization to rank higher in the search results. This activity will become easier if your theme is well optimized for the search results.
- User-Friendly: This is the most important factor for selecting the best theme for your blog. All your hard work will get ruined if your theme is not user friendly. In such a case, your readers visiting your site will get confused and leave it immediately. Next, this will increase the bounce rate of your site and thereby decrease the ranking of your site. Ensure your theme make your blog easy to use and navigate. If your readers are happy with your theme then everything will get in place automatically.
At a beginning, you can start with the free theme but once your site get famous, please replace the same with the premium theme. Premium themes are well coded and inlcudes free updates and support services.
At last, ensure you have selected a proper color scheme for your blog and used the correct image format for your images and logo. Always remember, the first impression is the last impression. Your color schemes and logo will have the long-lasting impact on your readers.
# Step 5: Install Required WordPress Plugins On Your Blog
Now, it’s time to install the plugins on your blog. Plugins are the small components used to install an additional and specific feature on your site.
For example, if you want to show social media icons on your blog then you can use the Social Media Sharing Plugin on your site. Once installed, this plugin will show social media sharing buttons on your blog.
Hence, you need to either edit the coding of your blog or else install the plugins for every additional and specific feature who want on your blog.
#Step 6: Starting Blogging On Your Blog
Congratulation!! Your blog is ready. Now, you start writing or sharing recipes on your blog posts.
Next, I strongly suggest referring the below articles before you start writing your first blog post.
The Final Words
If you have any questions then feel free to leave them in the comment box.
Next, if you are a food blogger and found any important things missing from the above blog post then please feel free to contact us. We will be happy to edit our blog post and include your suggestions.